Welcome to my blog...

I hope you enjoy reading my blog and checking out photos of my jewelry / wearable art. 
Please keep checking back as you may find something even more amazing next time!  


Sunday, March 22, 2009

Feather Pendant - Completed (chain and all!)







This has yet to be one of my favorite pieces! This was a custom necklace for Thomas and the only direction he gave me was that he wanted a feather and/or horn (shaped) pendant... otherwise he gave me complete freedom (which is where I believe an artist truly shines!). 

I told him about an idea I had about a feather that was golds, blues, and greens... or a feather that was oranges, reds, and purples. Neither of us could decide so I decided to make both and let him chose in the end. The both came out so beautifully that we decided that both feathers on a chain would feel more balanced that just one sole feather. 
(Scroll down a few posts to see the feathers during their metalsmithing progess)

So after the feathers were completed Thomas and I picked out a perfect necklace that was the perfect length and thickness. Since it was copper I was able to make these beautiful rainbow-like colors onto the chain to match the feathers. 

Lastly, so soften it up slightly Thomas requested a very thin delicate chain to dangle on the chain so it was a little added interest along with the feathers. Since he didn't want a clasp either I decided to put the delicate chain hanging from where the clasp should be (so technically the necklace's back is in the front). Also to match the silver chain with the brass & copper feathers along with the copper chain I decided to give the silver chain the same rainbow color effect.

This piece really came out astounding, and a friend even commented on it being very Jim Morrisson-like which I took as a big compliment! Especially since Jim and I went to the same high school and had the same Art teacher. Cool huh? (Granted the teacher was pretty ancient when I was there.) Ha ha. Jim did have great mojo though didn't he!  ;)

No comments: